Jan 10, 2007

1.10.7 : UFOs in Chicago ...


Color me unimpressed. As I emphasized in a thread on this subject over @ Imaginative Worlds, the time between Xmas and New Year's Day is usually the slowest time of the year for news (aside from your usual year end lists and what have you). It's part of the reason we know so much about Jon Benet Ramsey and Lacey Peterson (both crimes occurred around Xmas in their respective years and were subsequently all over the news).

So, I'm sad to say that I don't think this big UFO story is any harbinger of good things to come in '07 for UFOs. It is not a paradigm shift, despite how cool it was to have busted open on 1.1.7. I suspect the UFO will go back into the mothballs until another time when things are slow or there is a particularly kitschy story.

I'm not going to go into any iota of speculation on what was in the sky and all that good stuff that the talking heads like to do. As any true BoA reader knows, we're more interested in what's on the ground, not what's in the sky.

What is interesting, to me at least, is that this story broke on 1.1.7, but apparently happened around the first week in November. I'd be interested in getting the lowdown on why the lagtime in reporting on it. We saw the same sort of thing with the Pheonix Lights Case, but I've often found that sometimes mysterious circumstances end up being cleared up as rather pedestrian machinations and not as a result of some sinister cabal. Irregardless, a look @ the timeline from incident to publication would be enlightening.

Also, and kudos to IW poster "Dera" who pulled the quote, the author of the much ballyhooed (sp?) article that started all this said the following, "The Unidentified Aerial Phenomena (the term that extraterrestrial-watchers nowadays prefer over Unidentified Flying Object)...

I must be out of the loop, because I've been using "UFO" all this time. Seriously, is UAP really some kind of trendy new nomenclature that I've somehow missed ? I've heard some folks in Ufology want to do away with "UFO" as a term, but intentions seemed to be as far as that movement ever went and they certainly were not advocating "UAP" as the alternative.

So those are really two interesting aspects of this story that I haven't seen discussed all that much elsewhere.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Tyrone Ferrara said...

In my opinion, UFOs in the Bible are angles and are referred to as a cloud, fire, star, etc.

2:09 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home